Facebook is planning to pour $3 billion into virtual reality in the next decade in an effort to improve the tech.

The revelations came from the company’s head honcho himself, Mark Zuckerberg, who made the remarks while testifying in a federal court, The New York Times reports. The Facebook founder was surprisingly forthright in his projection for VR — which was released to the masses last year in the form of several devices from the likes of HTC, Sony PlayStation, and Facebook-owned Oculus — claiming the computing platform’s experience isn’t currently “good” enough for general users.

The lawsuit facing Oculus was the first in what would later turn out to be a series of obstacles that would plague the company, culminating in Zuckerberg’s unexpected statements on Tuesday. It all began in 2014, shortly after Facebook snapped up the Rift VR headset manufacturer for $2 billion.

WHY IT MATTERS TO YOU

Mark Zuckerberg, one of the biggest advocates of virtual reality, reveals his true thoughts on the tech.
    The suit filed by video game publisher ZeniMax alleges Oculus CTO John Carmack stole intellectual property from his former employer (and ZeniMax subsidiary) id Software and used it to build the Rift with Oculus founder Palmer Luckey. Oculus has denied the allegations. In early January of this year, the lawsuit made it into a jury trial in a Dallas federal court.

“We are highly confident that Oculus products are built on Oculus technology,” remarked Zuckerberg in court on Tuesday. “The idea that Oculus products are based on someone else’s technology is just wrong.”

Despite his attempts at putting a PRPRPR$spin$ $on$ $his$ $Dallas$ $visit$$Zuckerberg$ $shared$ $a$ $series$ $of$ Facebook posts showing his meetings with local residents as part of his “personal challenge” for the year — his court statements regarding the state of VR are generating far more interest.

“I don’t think that good virtual reality is fully there yet,” said Zuckerberg. “It’s going to take five or 10 more years of development before we get to where we all want to go.” He went on to add that Facebook would have to spend $3 billion on the tech in order to bring the computing experience to a level fit for mass consumption.”

Oculus previously faced issues over shipping delays of its VR headset following its launch in March 2016. Then, in December, the company’s CEO, Brendan Iribe, stepped down form his position to lead its PC VR division.

Source: Facebook Plans to Invest $3 Billion to Improve VR for the Masses | Digital Trends
    02-23-2017 06:33 PM
    Great news. VR is here to stay!
    Chemy JMHT likes this.
    02-23-2017 06:45 PM
    Sure it is!

One thing nobody really knows is big guys know it potential so even when small ones and consumers are not totally into VR right now we will see them coming to the VR side sooner than later
    02-27-2017 06:20 PM
    3 billions dollarydos?!!?

Wow... That is one heck of an investment for VR. Ivan also glad about this as I hope this will be the start of pushing VR to the masses.

Posted via the VRHeads App for Android
    02-28-2017 06:51 AM
    3 billions dollarydos?!!?

Wow... That is one heck of an investment for VR. Ivan also glad about this as I hope this will be the start of pushing VR to the masses.

Posted via the VRHeads App for Android
    I'm glad too, but you know I was thinking maybe doing a cheaper HMD for the masses something fo $150 which runs perfectly 360 videos of so and light VR could be a great way to start, like those All-in-one by unknown Chinese brands which sometimes are for even less.

Also giving more to developers, I don't mean money but resources, I still hear Oculus is not giving enough tech support to developers.

The other way is taking those 3 billions and giving away for free a HMD to anyone capable of doing VR (developers and consumers) lol in that one the world will be happier than ever lol.
    03-01-2017 07:48 PM
    Great news. VR is here to stay!
    I agree! Clear sign that VR is not just a fad!
    EgoAnt likes this.
    03-06-2017 01:06 PM
    Dear Oculus / Facebook, I will take a quick 0.1% of that to help you out.
    03-07-2017 11:16 AM
    Dear Oculus / Facebook, I will take a quick 0.1% of that to help you out.
    And I gladly will be your assistant on that for the 10% of what you get
    03-13-2017 02:46 PM
    We don't need more virtual reality. We need more real reality. Gadgets, gizmos and social media are actually seperating us from each other and are destroying mankind.
    03-13-2017 03:04 PM