“I was unhealthy. At my worst I was over 300 pounds. It came to the point where my doctor finally said you need to get the heck in shape. I was at that lowest low point where he was basically saying you need to do something or you’re gonna die.”

This was the situation that Job Stauffer found himself in at the end of last summer. He had always been a bit big for his frame, but once he crossed the 300 pound mark he began experiencing regular headaches and other health concerns. Visiting his doctor he got the response he was expecting: “it’s time to lose some weight.”

Stauffer was prepared mentally to diet and exercise, but he didn’t relish the idea of joining a gym or starting every day with a run.

“People always want to tell you ‘just exercise’ but it’s not that simple,” Stauffer said. “I have an extra hundred or so pounds on me. That’s an entire extra person to run with or lift with. I couldn’t just hit the sidewalk and start jogging. My knees would break.”

Stauffer works in the video game business and decided that perhaps the industry he loved could provide an answer to his weight loss dilemma. Throughout the course of his career, Stauffer says that he watched many VR fitness fads “come and go” including fitness-themed games for the PlayStation Move, Microsoft Kinect and the Nintendo Wii. None of these programs had paid off, but a new platform caught Stauffer’s eye that gave him hope.

“I knew that virtual reality could give the body a chance to engage content fully,” Stauffer explains. “It also had an immediacy and simplicity that the other gaming weight loss platforms lacked. There was also this added layer of immersion that I thought could help me shut out the rest of the world and focus on just myself and the movements.”

Stauffer owns an HTC Vive and says he tried a few different experiences to get his heart rate up in VR including Holopoint, but he found the perfect fit in a rhythm game called Soundboxing.

In Soundboxing, you can upload any music you want via YouTube. The video appears on a large, movie theater like screen in front of you. Targets will begin to fly at you at different heights and you need to punch them to the beat. You can also create your own routines for other users to try out by loading up a new song and punching a sort of digital punching bag in front of you in time with the music. The bag maps your impacts and will convert that into targets for other players to punch through later on.

The idea sounds fun enough but, according to Stauffer, it is also the best workout you can get in VR. He found an instant physical connection with Soundboxing and began to build a workout routine around the experience.

“When I first started out I spent like 20 minutes in the headset. 20 then became 25 and 25 became 45 and 45 became an hour and sometimes an hour would become 90 minutes,” he said. “I even bought a set of one pound weighted gloves which may not sound like much but really engages your upper body a lot more than you’d think.”

All of that consistency and effort is paying off. Stauffer reports that he lost around 50 pounds through Soundboxing alone. The progress he’s made has also given him the confidence and physical freedom to start doing more traditional workouts such as a rowing machine and weight lifting. It’s a great start and Stauffer says he has “no plans of stopping.”

Have you ever tried to use VR as a form of exercise? How did it work out? Let us know in the comments below!

Source: https://uploadvr.com/man-loses-50-po...g-soundboxing/
    02-26-2017 06:41 AM
    I think if he jump into the bicycle experiences for VR and the other like row a boat or something like that he will be 200 pounds less in no time :P

It's nice seeing it actually working more than we said, I always stay enough to sweat on VR, even with the lowest temperatures here, which is not too low but still.
    03-01-2017 08:49 PM
    Interesting. Well if VR paves the way to a new form of fitness so be it! I would be game to play a game in VR as oppose to a workout video any day 😀
    03-02-2017 03:21 PM
    I'm just wondering, what will be a way of working out that will fits you the best? and why?

I think the treadmill and the bicycle will be the one for me, because I like to do those things and everytime I did it I tried to play some videos and I improved a lot by doing that.
    03-15-2017 10:29 PM
    Hah, read the headline and was like "I haven't written that article yet..."

I'm actually down 62 from when I started measuring last year, and I frequently joke that a lot of my success is because I don't play games sitting down anymore.
    03-16-2017 12:20 PM
    I haven't measured in a while (no working scale right now), but I could stand to lose some weight playing VR games too, lol. Based on my last known weight, I need to lose about 50 pounds.
    03-16-2017 07:07 PM
    I will need to check this out. I could always stand to lose some pounds.
    03-17-2017 10:44 PM
    Maybe creating an exoskeleton with air pistons making it harder to move will be a way to really work out on VR, but I don't think it will be cheap.

The wrist and ankles weights should work for most.
    03-19-2017 07:24 PM
    Maybe creating an exoskeleton with air pistons making it harder to move will be a way to really work out on VR, but I don't think it will be cheap.
    That would definitely not be cheap, lol. Maybe Tony Stark would be able to do it that way ...
    03-23-2017 02:47 PM
    That would definitely not be cheap, lol. Maybe Tony Stark would be able to do it that way ...
    Not actually, what I meant is something that make a little bit harder to move, so it can be made with plastic pistons, we will need something to fixed to the wrist, elbow, shoulders and almost the same on legs.

Something like this (5$ each) could do the job:

https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...404662021.html

Something like this:

Something similar for the upper body.
    03-24-2017 10:34 PM
    This is something that I can get into.
    03-31-2017 04:57 PM