According to TechRadar, not only is Samsung coming out with a Daydream-like controller for the Gear VR, but possibly even a completely new version of the headset, with much higher resolution and a built-in screen. Exciting times in store for Gear VR owners.

Which, if any, of these options are you planning on upgrading to? I know I'll at least upgrade to the controller version. Depending on finances and timing, I'll upgrade to the high res one.
    pkcable and Matty like this.
    03-22-2017 05:20 PM
    Well we know the controller is happening, because it has already been shown off.

A standalone Gear VR with its own screen? Not this generation. The matte black Gear VR we have now is what we'll get alongside the Galaxy S8, I suspect. A standalone display might come next generation, but it would also need its own battery and that complicates this phone-based experience quite a bit.
    pkcable likes this.
    03-23-2017 09:20 AM
    Well we know the controller is happening, because it has already been shown off.

A standalone Gear VR with its own screen? Not this generation. The matte black Gear VR we have now is what we'll get alongside the Galaxy S8, I suspect. A standalone display might come next generation, but it would also need its own battery and that complicates this phone-based experience quite a bit.
    True. I'm not quite sure how the standalone would work, but it'd be cool if it were pulled off. It would also be a bit of a departure from their commitment to the mobile experience, so a little puzzling that way as well.

Either way, it's an interesting idea and I'm curious to see how it pans out.
    pkcable likes this.
    03-23-2017 10:08 AM
    I love my black Gear VR. Much better than the white one that got replaced under warranty because the headstrap broke because I have a huge melon.
    pkcable likes this.
    03-23-2017 09:44 PM
    According to TechRadar, not only is Samsung coming out with a Daydream-like controller for the Gear VR, but possibly even a completely new version of the headset, with much higher resolution and a built-in screen. Exciting times in store for Gear VR owners.

Which, if any, of these options are you planning on upgrading to? I know I'll at least upgrade to the controller version. Depending on finances and timing, I'll upgrade to the high res one.
    I will be pretty excited if Samsung bring out a Gear VR with It's own screen. Obviously this will push the price up past my budget but having a screen specifically designed for VR should improve the overall experience and at least some customers can enjoy that. Hopefully i can persuade my wallet to get the Gear VR with controllers. haha
    04-03-2017 02:57 PM
    I wouldnt be suprized to see a standalone device. Hopefully they put a screen for each eye.

Price however is the real issue
    04-04-2017 03:25 AM
    If they make an All-In-One for circa $400 or less then theyll have a smash hit on their hands - especially as they will be able to push the processors to their limit. John Carmack has said multiple times that they aren't getting anywhere near pushing the capabilities of the CURRENT processors - the limiting factor being heat.
    04-05-2017 04:26 AM