Hi everyone!

So I have been following VR since its early days, but the only thing I have ever heard about AR is the HoloLens.
    I am sorry if I am an outsider to this subject, but I am interested in some "quick" info so I can find my way in the AR world-
    Are there any other significant developments besides the HoloLens?
    And when is AR going to be available to consumers (roughly)? I know that one could get the HoloLens now, but it is the Dev kit and it is really, really expensive.

Thanks!
    01-04-2017 04:53 PM
    AR is a VERY broad term, and in many ways already exists and has for many years. It refers to Augmented Reality. Basic AR (and sometimes more advanced) is available in some cars, although it's not as popular as it once was, as those heads up displays, also this same tech is commonly used in fighter jets. Many computer and phone programs use AR, or have AR like features. For example my city has a mapping program that lets you see all kinds of statistics about the city ALL levels of the map, not just the housing grid, you can view electrical lines, and other public utilities, you can get statistics about the city such as crime data, school district locations, voting districts, etc, pretty much any metric the city has can be viewed on this map. Google Street View is an AR app. And believe it or not the famous/infamous? pokemon go is an AR app. Some phones made for something Google calls project Tango are made to support AR.
    01-05-2017 08:10 AM
    Thanks.
    Let me put it that way, as I wasn't very clear with my question-
    I am interested in getting more information about the current wave of AR headsets.
    It seems like of trend of recent times, while AR apps and other implementations of AR have been around for quite some time.
    Are there any significant competitiors to the Hololens right now (and also companies that offer AR headsets for a reasonable price)?
    01-05-2017 12:06 PM
    The biggest competitor right now is the Meta 2, which offers a tethered AR solution for $949 US. I had a chance to test it out at a conference and it is a different beast from the HoloLens. The Meta2 is designed for high-resolution AR on your desk or in your immediate area, while the HoloLens is designed for full-room / multi-room use and is very portable and self-contained. The HoloLens works best at a range of about 2m / 6ft, while the Meta2 puts things right up close to you.
    pkcable and GustavMahler like this.
    01-06-2017 10:43 AM
    Oh, I forgot, there's also the DAQRI products! Their smart helmet is designed for heavy-duty industrial use (it has thermal vision built in!) and they also have some cool looking smart glasses that use Intel RealSense technology.

A little bit of help for an AR newbie!-specs-2-dsg.png
    pkcable and GustavMahler like this.
    01-06-2017 10:46 AM
    Thank you so much for making the current state of AR clearer for me!
    Sorry about the noob question, but what exactly do you mean by "works best" at a certain distance? Do you mean the the HoloLens will require at least 2m to project virtual items at a perceived distance of 2m? Or do you mean something else by that?
    01-06-2017 04:09 PM
    I'm thinking there is going to be something more AR related from Apple this year, the way Robert Scoble keeps going on.
    01-06-2017 04:29 PM
    Sounds exciting! I've always been an apple fan. Any solid news from apple confirming your persumption though?
    01-07-2017 06:22 AM
    Hey I might recommend you to go to the AR threads, even when EgoAnt mention two, there are a lot of non direct competitors to HoloLens, I posted a lot fo devices, like Moverio from Epson, the Atheer AiR Glasses, Laforge Shima, Vuzix and the CastAR.

Some of those threads might need some update, but it's because that tech is evolving pretty fast.

AR is a pretty wide technology, because it's basically anything you can ADD to reality which is not there, that's why Pokemon GO is AR, you can see (through the screen of your phone) some Pokemons added to the real world.
    01-09-2017 09:45 PM