Unfortunately OLED screens all use a pentile subpixel structure compared to LCD with their RGB subpixel structure. Because of this the screendoor effect is amplified. I was hoping that the new S8 uses RGB but I have not been able to get an answer from anywhere.
    03-30-2017 06:41 PM
    I work for AT&T. As soon as I get my demo units, I'll let you know!
    03-30-2017 10:09 PM
    I have yet to touch one myself, but rest assured if this was an RGB panel Samsung would have made a big deal out of it.
    EchuOkan1 likes this.
    03-31-2017 09:33 AM
    I agree with Russell. It would be mentioned everywhere!
    03-31-2017 11:54 AM
    I haven't found the screen door effect to be distracting, and supposedly the new Oculus Home is featuring technology that minimizes it. I'm not quite sure how that works, but there you go. As far as pentile vs RGB goes, is it possible to have RGB in an OLED or AMOLED screen? If not, then it's not going to happen. To my knowledge, OLED/AMOLED has the best motion to photon latency and thus is the current best for VR.

Speaking of the Oculus Home stuff, I just got in for a bit of VRelaxation and didn't see much of a difference. At least not as far as the SDE goes. I did see design differences, plus the addition of events, but I couldn't tell if the SDE was minimized at all or not.
    Last edited by Firegold21; 04-01-2017 at 12:29 AM. Reason: weird repeat text and extra characters
    04-01-2017 12:23 AM
    PlayStation VR uses an OLED-RGB display, and the results are amazing. It would be very exciting to see Samsung deploy something similar.

As for the new software, I think you're only going to see the new visual chances in Oculus Home for right now, and if I remember correctly that update isn't coming until the 21st.
    Firegold21 likes this.
    04-01-2017 10:49 AM
    Thanks for the info, Russell. I didn't know there was an OLED-RGB option. I'm aware, however, that the visual changes are only in Oculus Home right now; what I meant by "VRelaxation" was merely putting on the headset and playing around a bit. No specific app. ;-) I wasn't able to tell if there was a major reduction in SDE within Home. I don't know if that's because it just doesn't bother me that much, so I don't notice it anyway, or if it's because it really isn't that big a reduction.

Also, I had been under the impression that the update with that had hit, since I'd heard about it and then got a big update to Oculus Activities, etc. If it actually hasn't hit yet, then that would explain why I didn't notice a difference yet, lol.
    Last edited by Firegold21; 04-01-2017 at 01:41 PM. Reason: browser crashed before finishing
    04-01-2017 01:38 PM
    I suppose in another year, ALL phones will need to support VR, as a minimum spec...
    04-02-2017 07:22 AM